Thursday, September 15, 2011

Fausto Coppi, 9/15/1919

Where to begin? 92 years ago today, Fausto Coppi was born. Superlatives don't do his career justice, and I don't have the knowledge (or space) to do his story right either. What I can do is lead you to a great book that should be read by any cycling fan interested in our sport's great history. I recently finished Fallen Angel, the Passion of Fausto Coppi by William Fotheringham. I quickly read this on my last trip, and in this age of instant communication, tweeted the following exchange with the author.

Ain't the internet grand? I hope to bump into him someday and discuss - I have a feeling we share interests!

The next Coppi account that I shall attempt (shortly) is Beppe Conti's Fausto Coppi, a rather exhaustive look at his life written in that difficult Italian prose that sometimes challenges my meager abilities. It's like comparing the USA Today to Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum.

With that, Viva Coppi!

No comments:

Post a Comment